Friday, February 2, 2007

My First Wrinkle

The other night at work while taking a bathroom break I noticed my first wrinkle. It's one of those that goes from your nose to the corner of your mouth. Maybe it was the lighting but it looked pretty harsh. it was on my left side. I think they're called "frown lines." You never hear of a wrinkle caused by smiling though, do you? Nobody get's smiling wrinkles do they?

I'm aging. My wife thinks aging is depressing. And in a way it can be. But when we really think of it, we're not old at all. I mean we're in our late twenties for crying out loud. It just seems as if time is moving faster than it did when we were younger. This can be explained though. The introduction of children into one's life and hence concept of time and space, alters that concept forever. Children have the ability to slow down time to almost a standstill, or speed it up to the point where you're asking yourself, "how did we get here?" If children realized this they would rule the world, but because they're children and they don't, they miss out on that.

I'm okay with aging though. I like the fact that my hair is going grey. I like the fact that I'm getting wrinkles. I'm excited to move into that longer period of my life in which people will think of me as "distinguished looking." I don't like being in-between. I've never enjoyed any of the "in-between" moments of my life. They were always filled with awkwardness. Maybe that's why Jay-Z says, "thirty is the new 20." I'm almost there Jay-Z, I'm alomst there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So as you age with your gray hair you will look distinguished and I will look like an old hag. Why is that? Men can be distinguished and women are always considered saggy, wrinkly, etc. Maybe the "wrinkle" showed up because you were laughing. Sometimes that happens and then it goes away.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that it requires a lot more muscles to frown than it does to smile. I believe that this is a myth because my face has never hurt from frowning. It hurts when I smile and laugh too much. I am convinced that wrinkles are just stretch marks produced by too much happiness. I have no explanation for the grey hairs at this time. I believe that the look of distinguishment or old-hag-ship comes with the way the person conducts themselves. If an individual presents himself with integrity and wisdom, then he will seem distinguished to me. Otherwise, it's hag-ship!