Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Why You Fail

I couldn't convert in midair to make the shot. I got sick. I missed my ride to the presentation. There was a horrible accident on the interstate that stopped traffic for forty five minutes. I wasn't given enough time. The other people in the group did nothing and the burden was all on me. I was too tired. My kids wouldn't leave me alone. I had a family thing. My sister had her baby. I spaced it. I double booked. I'm sorry. I lost your contact information. I lost the account number. I couldn't remember the phone number. Someone in accounting got the numbers wrong. The company car broke down. We were delayed. I forgot. It's completely my responsibility. I apologize. I didn't know. It's not my fault. I got caught up. The other project took too long. The weather got really bad. There was a complication. I ran out of money. The competition beat us. I didn't plan properly. We didn't practice enough. I ate that doughnut. I couldn't resist. He asked me too. She wanted it.

You fail simply because you do not succeed.

This statement begs the question, "how do I not succeed?" You do not succeed because you do not overcome the obstacles that stand to prevent you from succeeding. This statement, in turn, begs the following question:

"So how do I succeed then?"

You succeed by overcoming the obstacles that stand in your way to success.

Before you start you must operationally define success. What is success and how will you know when you've accomplished it? Once you have defined it, it must become your quest. You must burn it into your soul. It is your mission. When one knows what success is, one can more clearly see the opposition to that success. When you can identify that opposition you will then come to know it as your enemy. It is then that you must destroy your enemy without hesitation. Often you will discover that this enemy is a part of you. This can make identifying the opposition to your success difficult and painful. If you are focused on your success, if it is truly your mission, you will be able to destroy that part of you that prevents you from succeeding. The first time you do this will be painful and difficult. It will be sloppy and may take some time. As you discover other parts of you that are of the enemy to your success you will more easily be able to vanquish those aspects. Soon they will melt away as you move ever closer to your success. And then you shall have it. Success will be yours.

That is how you succeed in life. Does it seem easy? It should not but its difficulty depends on how converted you are to your success. You must believe that you will succeed. Once you do you will not fail. You will do everything in your power until you feel the power of your very mental will pushing you forward toward your success. This will work for you. You fail because you do not do this. Not because you cannot do this, but you do not do it.

There is a distinct difference between "Cannot" and "Do not." "Cannot" means that one is temporally unable to accomplish some task. "Do not" means one has chosen not to accomplish a certain task. All human beings regardless of circumstance are able to choose to "Do not." "Cannot" is a falsehood perpetuated within the human race by those who fail and by those who succeed but wish others to fail. "Do not" is the only truth in the matter. You fail because you have chosen to fail. That is the simple truth. You fail because you have defeated your mind and will and you have chosen to do so. You allow your defeatist mental state take power over you. You become a slave to failure until you believe the great lie of "Cannot." You are a disciple of "Cannot" and slave to it's master "failure."

You must acknowledge the truth. You have chosen this life. Then you must simply start again, omitting "cannot" from your mind. You will succeed. You will conquer.

Are you looking for a better job? Are you struggling to overcome an addiction? Do you want more money? Do you want to find love? Are you unhappy with your weight? Do you hate yourself? Do you want to be happy? Then succeed and you will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks, coach.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, do you remember the motivational speakers that came to your Jr. High? They played Van Halen's Right Now song, with their own video of adolescents and the things they face everyday. The only image that I can remember, is a girl that went into a bathroom because she was embarrassed about a huge zit on her face. Of course they made the zit like as big as her head and white and then it showed other people running out of the bathroom because she popped it and it was everywhere. Did you see this same video? And only now is it that I see what they were trying to say. Things seem like a big deal, but it never really is as bad as we make it. Back then I just remember thinking, "Why would they do that. That's gross!"