Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Having It All Will Make You Chaotic Evil

So I've been recently playing this computer game. I'm not really what you'd call a hard core gamer. I don't play for hours and hours on end and when I do play, it's usually some type of military first person shooter game like Call of Duty, Halo, or Battlefield 2. Well I got tired of the mindless shooting games and have recently opted for a new genre: The RPG. For those of you who don't know, in the gaming world, RPG means role playing game (not rocket propelled grenade). I thought this genre might provide me a more fulfilling gaming experience. RPG's force you to create a character and develop that character throughout the course of the game. RPG's are usually quite long as well so many players become invested in their character. Because I don't play computer games every day I thought that starting an RPG would be fun as it would take me a much longer time to finish it than the average shoot 'em up game. So the game I chose is called Neverwinter Nights by bioware. I chose this game based on a review I read on www.gamespot.com They apparently liked this game very much and recommended it to everyone, including people who don't usually play RPG's. So I thought this would be a great choice for someone like me.

I picked up the "diamond edition," which contains the root game itself and all the expansion packs and modules. I wanted the complete experience and I wanted it to last me a long time (since I don't play as often as most gamers do I figured this was my best bet). I really like the game, it's a lot of fun. The game is set in some alternate mid evil Tolkenian time and you play a hero who is out to find the cure to a plague.

My character was a good guy. He was honest and kind, a real hero's hero. The game forces you to choose the type of moral alignment your character has and mine was classified as "Chaotic Good." This means that your character is a good person who is willing to break some rules for the greater good (you know, like Robin Hood). So the only problem is that this game can get kind of hard. It's hard living life on the road, always wondering where your next meal is going to come from; never knowing if an ogre is around the corner waiting to gore you alive. It's hard scavenging for gold pieces in crates, chests, bags of garbage, corpses, barrels, and abandoned houses. I mean how is a guy supposed to make a decent enough living to even be able to afford a decent hench man? Times are tough and the plague is hurting everyone so I did what anyone would do in my situation. I just couldn't take it anymore. I was tired of being a level 3 fighter. I was tired of only having 95 gold to my name and a ridiculous excuse for a Non Playing Character Henchman. So I did it and nothing you can say can make me feel guilty about it.

I found some cheat codes. Okay, there, I said it. I leveled up my character and became a Chazillionaire. I thought it would be a good thing. I thought I could help people. Honestly, I had no idea it would come to what it has. I thought with all the money in the world and all the charisma one man could possibly handle, I could save more lives. But that's not the case. With all the power and all the money in the world I no longer had a need for other people. I started killing innocent NPC's. I robbed everyone every chance I got. I became Chaotic evil. Now, whenever I come in contact with an NPC, the game doesn't even give me the option to be nice to them and offer to help them. I only choose from a cornucopia of dastardly deeds and insults. I am feared and hated all over the world of Neverwinter. I don't know how this happened. I was such a good guy. It just goes to show that having it all will inevitably change you for the worse.

I feel much better having said this. But I have to go. I have a tavern full of people to destroy.

No comments: