Tuesday, May 22, 2007


Utah is trapped in the 80’s. One of my brother in laws once said to me, “even when it was the 60’s Utah was trapped in the 80’s.” This is the same brother in law who when he suspects someone might by homosexual, first asks them if they’re German, “German or Gay?” But it’s true. Utah is and will forever be trapped in the 80’s. Why?

Because the 80’s was Utah’s decade. Everything that put Utah on the map happened during the 80’s. The LDS church reached it’s pinnacle of fame during the 80’s. BYU won the national championship during the 80’s. Some of BYU Football’s most famous players played for the University during the 80’s. Utah has the most 80’s themed radio stations. People here still dress like the 80’s. It’s like the state just got tired of being fashionable as fashion continued on. I think that happens with old people. You know, you reach a point where your clothes aren’t wearing out, they’re still in good shape, you’re not growing anymore, so why bother buying new clothes? Suddenly you’re a living time capsule for the fashion of your chosen decade.

My wife says I peaked in the 90’s and I’ve been trapped there ever since. Well I’m sorry if I still wear my Dave Matthews Band and Phish T-shirts; or my baggy carpenter jeans. But at the end of the day I know she’s right. We all have our favorite fashion sins. Mine is the clothing of the 90’s.

No comments: