Monday, January 29, 2007

Trying To Die

I took a suicide call tonight. Those are always... what's the word? I don't want to say "interesting" because that might imply that I'm being sarcastic or cold. I don't want to say "exciting" because I don't want to give anyone the idea that I have some kind of morbid fascination with people killing themselves. So I took a suicide call tonight and it was what it was.

I can't really talk about this kind of stuff. I mean, it doesn't bother me to talk about it but there's that whole confidentiality thing. So suffice it to say nobody died to tonight but somebody tried to.

So suicide is against the law right? But don't we all do things that might also be considered a form of suicide? Like our love affair with obesity and the substances that cause it? Or cigarettes? What about drugs and alcohol? Suicide is an attempt to speed up a process we're all going through anyway. Maybe because it's so abrupt, we don't like it. None of the rest of us get to choose how we're going to go, why do you? What makes you so special?! I guess everybody just wants an even playing field even in death. So when people make the threat, we go and we do our best to talk them out of it.

No comments: